What is WordPress?
WordPress is a content management system (CMS) that is free and open-source. Based on the popular PHP language and MySQL database, and it is available under the GNU GPL license. On top of that, it has an extensive community of users and developers who help to make it better with each release.
WordPress is utilized by approximately 30% of the top 10 million websites. Combined, there are over 60 million sites running WordPress. WordPress was founded back in 2003 by Matt Mullenweg.
What does it mean? WordPress explained in easy language
In easy words explained, WordPress is the most popular software to create and publish website and blog content.
This is the official WordPress logo:
You can find all the WordPress logos over here on the official WordPress website.
Benefits of using WordPress
WordPress is so popular because of so many great things:
- Free to use, WordPress is open source software.
- Easy to use, no coding skills necessary.
- Thousands of themes and plugins available for free.
- Frequently updated with new features and bug fixes.
- Multilingual websites possible with WPML plugin.
- Large user community for support and advice on any issue you might have.
- Many good hosting services available, including Bluehost, SiteGround, and more
Official Websites of WordPress
These are links to the official WordPress websites: